Leading Property Consultants


1085 for Sale - 776 for Rent | Total Listings: 1862
Small-waterfront
wongamat-small

What are the rules for investing in property in Thailand

If you are interested in buying property in Thailand (or any foreign country) it is a good idea to check out the property laws regarding foreign investment in the country.

Buying real estate in Thailand can be hugely profitable, since the economic downfall, which has devastated most other countries, seems to have affected Thailand very, very marginally.

This page contains 5 helpful hints to bear in mind when considering purchasing property in this fantastic country.

  1. Foreigners cannot own land

No matter what you are told by a developer, estate agent or anybody else: no foreigner can own land in the Kingdom of Thailand. It is theoretically possible to own a building, but the land below it is not yours, making it even more possible for somebody to take the building from you! There are ways around this, but all hold some various element of risk.

  1. You may own a condominium

It is possible for foreigners to own condominiums, assuming the condominium block is majority owned by Thai people. In easy to understand terms; if a condominium block holds 100 apartments then 51 or more of them must be owned by Thais. This is easily worked around and usually is done so by the developers themselves. That said it is very important to get all of your legal documentation checked over by a trusted legal adviser prior to finalising any deal.

  1. Using a company

It is possible to use a Thai company to ‘own’ the property (land) on paper. Usually this is done by setting up a company, having the foreigner’s name down as a 49% shareholder with several other Thai people owning the remaining 51%. This means that the foreigner is always the majority shareholder.

This process, though, is wide open to abuse by the remaining partners, who – by being Thai nationals – are in a far better legal position than the one foreign shareholder. Aside from this, the whole process itself is not strictly legal. Have a good think before going down this route.

  1. Long-term leasehold………..

Probably the safest way to go about purchasing a property is by leasing the land on a long-term, renewable lease. This is usually done by ‘purchasing’ the land on a 30 year lease, with a clause in the contract that the leaseholder can renew the leasehold agreement. This process is used in many European countries in exactly the same way.

Whichever way you decide to proceed with your purchase of property in Thailand it is important that you have proper legal representation.

With all this in mind if you do go about your purchase in a sensible, cautious manner you could have a dream home and a great investment for a quite small amount of money.

Comments are closed.

Featured Condos

Jomtien Plaza - Very High Floor Seaview Corner Hot Sale

Location:Jomtien

Absolutely one of the best beachfront condo prices around, certainly for this prime location. Located right at the starting corner of Jomtien Beach Road, Jomtien Plaza offers convenience, superb views and low maintenance fees. This unit features 2 spacious bedrooms and two full bathrooms, two balconies, Euro kitchen and stunning seaviews. It's liveable as is but spending 600,000 THB to upgrade would make it stunning.

For Sale 5,950,000 ฿ For Rental 30,000 ฿
Large Studio in View Talay Residence III @ Knockdown Price

Location:Jomtien

Underpriced and an easy rental unit, this should be at the top of any investor's list. 56 sqm of total space and a nice, wide room allows for flexibility in room layout, plus a large balcony overlooking the pool and partial seaview, nice Euro kitchen, luxurious bathroom, double glazed UPVC windows, Daikin air-con and superb location in the heart of Jomtien. Available in foreign quota.

For Sale 2,350,000 ฿ For Rental 30,000 ฿
Jomtien Shining Star - Hot Deal on Studio Condo

Location:Jomtien

Jomtien Shining Star Condo is located right in the heart of Jomtien, just 200m from the beach and right off the main Thappraya Road. Superb rental potential and a knockdown price of only 1.3 million. This 34 sqm studio comes completely furnished and is available in foreign title. With long term rental returns well in excess of 8% this is a great investment buy.

For Sale 1,300,000 ฿ For Rental 30,000 ฿
©2010 Property Marketing Specialists (Jomtien) Company Limited. Address 315/185-186, M12, Thappraya Road, Pattaya, Chonburi 20260 Phone +66 38 303 243 Fax +66 38 303 073 English +66 861 086 575 Russian +66 897 533 181